Monday, January 29, 2018

Meekness: It's not what you think it means.


It's been a while since my last post. It's been a very fruitful couple of months. I'll have to share another time.

It's often stressful and life draining to live out our faith in the marketplace. It will challenge our faith, integrity, and character. It will be wear us down spiritually, physically, and mentally. But, I also draw closer to God and depend on God more in those situations. Importantly, I grow in wisdom and character. I was reflecting on Matthew 5:5 this afternoon. I hope it encourages the Christ Followers in the marketplace.

“Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." (Matthew 5:5)


Meekness {Gk: praeis} is not about weakness. Our translations and modern understanding of the word often misses the breath of the word. Praeis often is taken to be understood as gentle and being nice to others. Maybe fluffy? Christ followers live this out by become a doormat for others to trample on, passive, showing unwillingness to challenge the situation before them, and often in the form of escape and retreat. Rather praeis refers to "exercising God's strength under His control – i.e. demonstrating power without undue harshness." More, to demonstrate "gentleness (reserve) and strength." (see http://biblehub.com/greek/4239.htm)

To be meek is to know how and when to use a sword but to keep the sword in the sheath. That is the posture of meekness and it is the posture that we are to enter the workplace each day---to be on the front lines for God.  It didn't say it was easy; often times it's frustrating and fearful.  But if God put me here, and I am to remain in my calling (1 Cor 7:20), am I not to serve those around me as if I am serving the LORD himself (Col 3: 23-24)?  

More, to "inherit the earth" is to obtain possession from our Father for we are His children. We are to ground our identity in knowing and being God's children. Therefore, to be meek and to be a child of God is to have power and authority, and responsibility to act as regents of the Kingdom in the world.

Be Strong and Courageous, Christ is in you. God is with you in the workplace. Be bold.



No comments:

Post a Comment